This page may contain additional navigation below.
Equality Forum 2012 - Creating Opportunities for Success
Venue: Bath Spa University (marquee outside Moreton), Newton Park, Bath BA2 9BN.
Click here for directions and maps.
Date: 15 March 2012
Time: 10.00am - 3.15pm (tea/coffee and registration from 9.30am)
Outline of Day:
Welcome by Dr Alun Thomas (Deputy Vice Chancellor - Bath Spa University)
Dr Alun Thomas (Deputy Vice Chancellor - Bath Spa University) and Mark Humphriss (University Secretary - University of Bath) will give delegates an overview of achievements over the year, and look to the future.
Our speaker will be sprinter and Paralympic silver medallist Ben Rushgrove, who will talk about the opportunities that led him to achieve success in his sport. There will be time for Ben to answer questions from the audience.
Lunch and networking
The afternoon will consist of facilitated workshops where aspects of equality and diversity in sport are used as a platform for exploring the university context, with a particular focus on creating opportunities for people with protected characteristics to succeed:
- How mental health issues in sport can inform how we create opportunities for people with mental health conditions and learning disabilities
- Coaching: from sports to seminars – enabling students with protected characteristics to achieve their goals
- Bringing the Olympic and Paralympic Values to life in Universities – encouraging respect, excellence, friendship, courage, determination, inspiration and equality
- The equality data debate: what to collect, when, why and what to do with it?
- Joining our community – widening participation in the Universities and in Bath itself, with particular reference to the fees increase
- Lessons from the football pitch – do our communities have the awareness and the courage to challenge hate crime?
Plenary - workshop groups feed back to all participants
All Students and Staff welcome, as well as local employers and community groups
Want to come along?
To book your place and a free lunch please sign up using the online form, confirming any dietary or access needs.