This page may contain additional navigation below.
We currently require a Race Champion, if you have an interest and believe you can make a difference, please contact Elaine Orchard to express your interest.
Below are some useful links to groups both within the University and in the wider community.
We would be interested to hear about events and information that could be promoted and presented on this webpage, as well as any issues that could be taken to the Equality and Diversity Steering Group.
BSU is actively looking to set up a Race Equality Network Group. Employee Network Groups can provide support, opportunities to socialise and input into the development of the University. If you'd like to be involved please contact Elaine Orchard HR Manager.
If you'd like to provide feedback on a current policy, procedure or practice at BSU, or would be willing to provide feedback on any future practice, please also contact HR. If you'd prefer to make contact confidentially, then please indicate this.
Did you know?
The overall percentage of BSU staff who gave their ethnic origin as Black or Minority Ethnic in 2009/10 was 3.6%
According to the Equality and Human Rights Commission review, How Fair is Britain:
- In England, the best performing group are Chinese girls; even those on FSM outperform all other ethnic groups whether on FSM or not. The worst performing group is Gypsy and Traveller children. Their performance is declining. Less than 1 in 6 obtain at least five good GCSEs.
- Ethnic minority students are up as a proportion of university students to 23% in 2009 (in line with their proportion in that age group).
- Around a third of Black students get a first or upper-second class degree, compared to two-thirds of White Students.
- National Holocaust Memorial Day - 27 January 2013
- UN International Mother Language Day - 21 February 2013
- UN International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination - 21 March 2013
Useful Publications and Links
- The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry - Macpherson,W. (1999) 'The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry', CM4264-1, London: The Stationery Office.
- Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000
- Community Coherence - A report of the independent review team chaired by Ted Cantle, London: Home Office
- Community pride: Making Diversity work in Bradford - Race Review Report by Bradford City Council