This page may contain additional navigation below.
The University can trace its origins back to 1898 with its earliest constituent part, the former Bath Academy of Art. In 1975, Bath College of Higher Education was formed from the merger of two colleges and, in 1992, the college was granted taught degree-awarding powers. In April 2005, we received official confirmation from the Department for Education and Skills that that we have achieved university title. Bath Spa has always placed the highest emphasis on teaching quality, and by satisfying the government inspectors we have demonstrated what we have always claimed - that our teaching is at least the equal of that in other universities (and better than in many).
The Newton Park campus has been associated with the University since 1947 when it was leased from the Duchy of Cornwall. The main house was built for Joseph Langton between 1762 and 1765 and the landscape architect Capability Brown was commissioned to design grounds that complemented the grandeur and elegance of the mansion.
The most extensive programme of building improvements in Bath Spa's history, amounting to �11million, is currently being undertaken. A new Students' Union centre will be completed in July 2005 and work is currently underway on a significant extension of the library. A new Performing Arts studio will comprise a 214-seat theatre, rehearsal spaces, associated technical accommodation and changing facilities.