This page may contain additional navigation below.
Marketing and Communications
The Marketing and Communications Department's responsibilities relate primarily to promoting the University to potential students, influencers and stakeholders.
The Department produces a range of publications including the main undergraduate and postgraduate prospectuses, course leaflets and posters, and booklets such as 'Introducing Bath Spa University', 'Accommodation', 'Student Finances', 'Welcome to Newton Park', 'Welcome to Sion Hill' and 'Mature Students Guide'.
Media Relations (Procedures for Dealing with the Media)
Bath Spa encourages positive media coverage in order to enhance its reputation and profile. The Marketing and Communications Department has overall responsibility for media relations, and is able to offer advice and guidance to staff on maintaining open and constructive relations with the media. The Marketing and Communications Department is normally the first point of contact in communications with the media.
In dealing with the media, staff should note the following:
- Staff must not divulge to the media information of a confidential nature, or information that may discredit Bath Spa.
- When acting as representatives of Bath Spa, staff should not discuss with the media aspects of a more general or politically sensitive nature, policy issues, or aspects falling outside the particular expertise/knowledge of the staff member. All such enquiries must be referred to the Marketing and Communications Department.
- When staff are approached direct by the media about their research, or for comments on issues relating to their teaching or subject expertise, they are free to do so, should they wish. Staff should subsequently inform the Marketing and Communications Department, for monitoring purposes.
- Proactive contact with the media should normally be made through press releases issued by the Marketing and Communications Department to ensure that information is presented in a planned and controlled manner.
- When dealing with the media in a personal, as opposed to professional, capacity, staff should not identify themselves with Bath Spa or conduct interviews on Bath Spa premises.
- If you are unsure of the identity of a caller purporting to be from the media, please refer to the Marketing and Communications Department.
- In order to provide a responsive service to the media, please respond to enquiries speedily, or within any deadline given (either by responding directly or by referring to the Marketing and Communications Department, as appropriate).
Urgent enquiries out of office hours may be directed to the Head of Marketing and Communications on 07779 282459 or the Communications Manager on 07791 148877.
When speaking to the media please remember to specify your role at Bath Spa University. Including name checks will help recognise and enhance BSU’s reputation for academic excellence and thought leadership.
The same considerations apply to all situations where you are engaged in relevant public-facing work outside the University. For example, please always include reference to the University in speaker/contributor biographies at external conferences.
The Marketing and Communications Department compiles the monthly SPACE newsletter and weekly BSU This Week email bulletins.
To discuss contributions to the newsletter and email bulletin please contact Communications Manager Jane Wakefield (email@example.com, ext 6106) or Communications Coordinator Rob Breckon (firstname.lastname@example.org, ext 5730).
Marketing and Communications staff support the development of the main external website into an effective marketing tool and communication resource for a range of external audiences, including potential students from the UK and abroad.
The Department attends, or arranges attendance at, an extensive programme of higher education conventions and school/college recruitment fairs. In addition, a series of school/college talks on topics ranging from student life to filling in UCAS forms is arranged each year.
Open Days and Events
Opportunities for potential students to visit the University are arranged by Marketing and Communications. These include the Open Days for both campuses (June, September and October), regular Visit Afternoons at Newton Park, and a series of Campus Visit Days between February and April for applicants who have received offers of a place to study here.
Advertising and Promotion
Each year the Department arranges a schedule of advertising and promotion for undergraduate and postgraduate recruitment.
The Department is responsible for ensuring adherence to the University visual identity guidelines, and provides advice and guidance on this to staff.
If you would like you use the BSU logo on your website or publication, you must apply for permission to do so. Applications can be made in writing to the postal address in the boxout.